All about me - What you knew and what you wish you didn't find out

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Marriage

So finally, after what is considered by me (and probably many others) to be ‘about time’, my husband and I have our first couple’s session. How, you may ask, did this finally come about? Well, when I was at my last “me” only therapy session, I discussed with the therapist about the ‘next step’. Naturally, it was for my husband and me to go together to a session!

So when I left the session, she called my husband and they arranged an appointment for this Sunday. Of course, the issue of a babysitter was still present, but since we were to be going away, I chose not to bring it up. I also still held strongly to the conviction that my husband was responsible for at least TRYING to help find a babysitter.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an eternity’s worth of patience.

The other night my husband said to me “Can your sister baby-sit on Sunday?”

I said “Maybe she can, but before I ask you have to realize we need to pay her for travel time since it takes over an hour to get to us.” (old story already)

He said “That is stupid. After all we do for her, she is going to charge us for travel time?”

I said “First of all, I didn’t say that SHE is charging us for travel time. I said that we have to pay it. This means I am the one charging us for travel time. If it was any other person, would you have a problem paying travel time?”

He said “No, but she is family and we do so much for her.”

I said “She is my sister. I will always do so much for her. But she has no other income and so, especially if you would pay someone ELSE travel time, why not pay her?”

He said “Well, then we need to find another babysitter.”

I said “Then please help me with that.”

Now I know he never even asked around, so I said to him a day later, “Maybe we can drop our son off by my sister so we don’t have to pay for travel time.”

My husband decided that that would be acceptable and so it is arranged.

So why am I writing all this? I guess because I don’t know what to expect now that I know I am finally going to be facing the dragon in his cave. My husband and I reached a truce of sorts after a series of unpleasant back-and-forth emails resulting from the letter I had sent to him upon the therapist’s recommendation. The truce ended until we got off the plane back in NY. How is that for convenient? Since I started in therapy, I have seen NO change in my husband (he will probably say the same about me). The problem is that in my eyes, I have no motivation to change. And I do admit that that can be considered a problem. I am just so tired of all of this. So damn drained that all I want to do, even as I write this, is sit and cry. I feel so hopeless and in many ways helpless.

I think to myself, what did I do to get to where I am today? What if I hadn’t married my husband? Would I have married someone else like him? Would I have married? And what if I was no longer married now? Would I ever remarry? Am I really the ‘type’ who needs a husband? What would I ‘need’ a husband for? Children? No, I don’t want any more children. I am very happy with the one I have. Financial security? No, I currently make more than my lawyer husband and have better benefits. Insurance? No, I provide that as well. Someone to go to the movies with? No, my husband doesn’t like to go to the movies. Someone to cook for? No, I stopped cooking for him a long time ago when he would come home either not in the mood to eat, come home late and not tell me so the food got cold or would come home and not ever compliment either the food or show appreciation for the fact that I made it. Love? I can get love in other ways. I don’t need to contractually bind myself to someone just for love.

So would someone PLEASE tell me why I would want to ever remarry if I got divorced?

7 Comments:

  • An excellent question. However, having grown up in a "2 parent household" where 1) my parents sleep in separate bedrooms, 2) my father sticks around simply because he is so used to the way it is, and 3) every year when we were growing up and we asked my mother what she wanted for her anniversary she said "a divorce", I tend to feel that a "2 parent household" is not all it is cracked up to be. Besides, when does my husband see our son anyway? Only on the commute in to work every day. Our son is asleep by the time my son comes home. Granted, one day he will go to bed later than 7 PM, but that wont be for years.

    By the way, didnt I say I dont want any more children?

    By Blogger energynorm, at 12:08 PM  

  • omg
    i know exactly how you feel its so sad
    i feel that way too sometime where i just ask myself why did i ever marry
    i feel helpless and all i want to do is cry!
    can you maybe help me?

    By Blogger Y.Y., at 12:10 PM  

  • I probably cant. But maybe you should use your blog for that capacity instead of just posting lists of things...

    By Blogger energynorm, at 12:22 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Y.Y., at 12:28 PM  

  • thank you
    btw check out my latest post on my blog

    By Blogger Y.Y., at 12:29 PM  

  • hashem made adam and then chava as a helpmeet to him.
    as far as i'm concerned, the reason for marriage is just that, to have a helpmeet of sorts. companionship.
    we are supposed to live in this world and do good, and understand that the ways of the torah are good and that its paths are peace...with that thought in mind, that's the best i can come up with why people would marry, remarry, or whatever.
    do what you can to do what is right and it is supposed to come back to you.
    don't give up the ship.
    i hope that all made some sense.

    By Blogger bec, at 4:19 PM  

  • sahm4yrs, could you support yourself if you left? How would he react if you said you wanted to leave?

    By Blogger energynorm, at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home