All about me - What you knew and what you wish you didn't find out

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A series of unusual events

Not many of even my closest friends and family know of my love for a certain series of books. The newest in this series came out very recently and so I eagerly placed an order for it on Friday from overstock.com. I knew that the book would not be left at my apartment door, so I had it sent to my office.

Lo and behold, Monday morning I came in to work and the book was there on my chair in its box. Under the overstock.com box was another box from a different book selling website. (For reasons of security I cannot elaborate on the name of that site, however I will call it bookrus.com for the sake of clarity.) I did not recall ever having made a purchase from booksrus.com, nor did I ever recall having visited the site when I went to go see what it was. At that point I did not open the box yet. I did, however, tear open the packing slip inside to see what the book was that was inside. Shockingly, it was the same book that I had ordered on Friday, the same book that arrived from overstock.com.

Odd, I thought to myself.

I called booksrus.com to ask them about this order. They told me the order was placed by John Doe* and sent to me at my office. Well, I don't know John Doe, though he lives a few blocks from my office.

This is getting odder and odder, I said to myself.

I went on 411.com and did a search for John's phone number. I found his number easily (though the address didn't completely match the one on the packing slip) and I called him. I explained to him that he had ordered a book for me but that I did not know who he is. He told me he did not know who I was either.

(Well, at least we now had something in common.)

He thanked me for the heads up and told me he would call me if he found out anything.

Last night I had some time to think and I realized that maybe someone STOLE John's credit card and bought the book for me (though I could not figure out why). Today I called booksrus.com and asked them if they could tell me what credit card was used for this purchase. They told me and I called John up this morning and left a message for him with my thought that his credit card had been stolen. He called me back a while later and told me that it was indeed stolen and that other purchases had been made.

Until next week I won't know any more details, but the whole thing TOTALLY creeps me out. I have told as many people as possible about this, both to make sure that this doesn't come back to kick me in the butt that somehow John accuses me of having stolen his card and because I hope maybe someone will notice some detail I missed and can help me solve this mystery. What I do know is that someone who knows me and my taste in books did this. I am fairly sure of it because it seems a very uncanny coincidence that the exact book I ordered on a Friday was bought for me with a stolen credit card four days before.

Any thoughts?

*(name changed to protect identity)

4 Comments:

  • I think that since I spoke to John Doe and he is OOOOLLLLDDD that he wouldnt waste his time being my secret admirer!

    By Blogger energynorm, at 3:48 PM  

  • Like my new name? :)

    By Blogger energynorm, at 3:48 PM  

  • i think your husband stole the card as who would know what book you want?

    By Blogger Y.Y., at 7:31 PM  

  • Truth is my husband wouldnt know that I wanted that book. But the other reason your reason doesnt make sense is that the book was bought on Yom Tov. So whoever stole the card either isnt frum or isnt Jewish.

    BJG, Yup! It is I :) What makes me think an "ollllldddd" guy wouldnt be my secret admirer? Because I think an old guy would be more obvious about it. Old guys dont have much time on this planet (I dont think you realize how old John Doe sounded!) so they have no time to waste with being secretive ;)

    Truth is, I joke about this but it is really very scary. I have stopped making any online purchases and will contemplate how much I will blog about myself in the future. I feel very violated. Whoever did this, I am convinced, A) knows me and B) wanted to make me look like the thief who stole the credit card which is why he/she bought a book and sent it to me that I would love. Maybe he/she thought I wouldnt return it. I dont know.

    By Blogger energynorm, at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home